David Billington

Need to read the label on the drain cleaner first, some of the ones here
in the UK are strong sulphuric acid which may not do your parts much good.

bw wrote:

"David Anderson" wrote in message

Any suggestions for a good homemade total immersion type chemical
cleaner/degreaser for antique mechanical restoration project? The hot
degreaser tanks used by automotive engine rebuilders comes to mind, but
last time I checked, the chemicals were only available in 55-gallon drums,
and work best when hot. How about a 5-gallon tank, for example? Maybe
some kind of witches brew I could mix myself? Dave

Just pour a half-gallon of "liquid drain cleaner" in a 5 gallon plastic
bucket and add a couple gallons warm water.
As others have said, all the heavy cleaners and hot tanks use caustic lye
solutions, with maybe some surfactant.