bw

"David Anderson" wrote in message
. ..
Any suggestions for a good homemade total immersion type chemical
cleaner/degreaser for antique mechanical restoration project? The hot
degreaser tanks used by automotive engine rebuilders comes to mind, but
last time I checked, the chemicals were only available in 55-gallon drums,
and work best when hot. How about a 5-gallon tank, for example? Maybe
some kind of witches brew I could mix myself? Dave

Just pour a half-gallon of "liquid drain cleaner" in a 5 gallon plastic
bucket and add a couple gallons warm water.
As others have said, all the heavy cleaners and hot tanks use caustic lye
solutions, with maybe some surfactant.