Robin S.

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
So am I missing something here? I thought reaming required cutting
fluid, but now I hear from a whole crowd that does a fair amount of
reaming that it's just the opposite.

At work, I sometimes have to hand drill holes up to about 1/2" in cast iron,
mild steel, cast tool steel, etc. for hours.

You should try using lube and see what happens. While using lube on a drill
press is not a big deal, the amount of control you have using a hand drill
is much less. My drill has a safety clutch as it has an electronic speed
control and is easily capable of breaking my arm, but many do not.

Perhaps allowing the reamer to cut more freely will cause it to grab (and
then you're done).

BTW, if you're interested in a nice electric hand drill, check out the
Metabo BE1020. I can't say enough about this unit. Worth the $320 Cnd. every
time I use it...

Regards,

Robin