Bill Chernoff

Default something cool yesterday

My son got his bicycle chain all caught around the crank. The only solution
was to pull the crank off, for which I needed a special puller. No problem!
To the toolbox I went, dug down a few layers and produced a special puller
for my own bike that I made under my grampa's direction on his 9 inch Atlas.
This was way back when I was still in university. I built this tool before
you were born, I declared to my son. See, its even engraved Grampa & Bill
1985. The boy was only moderately impressed. He was way more interested in
getting the bike fixed than hearing a discourse on the providence of the
tools we were using. So I showed my wife later and she was not impressed at
all. Especially when I admitted I had now used the tool twice, once in
1985, and once yesterday. You're such a packrat, it doesn't surprise me at
all she says. So I put the tool back in the box. Someday I'll pull it out
again, and I'll not tell anyone where it came from, because I know. Grampa
can't even walk any more, let alone spend an afternoon working on his old
(but bought new in 1956) Atlas. But we did in 1985, and I've got the tool
to prove it. Maybe some of you guys will understand.