Tom Gardner

"Randy Zimmerman" wrote in message
news:%5NDe.7382$s54.3783@pd7tw2no...
We have a three jaw chuck ( Bison brand) on our old lathe at work. The
chuck is about 18 inches in diameter. It is a brute to open and close
with the chuck key. I took the jaws out and cleaned everything then put
light oil the jaws. It is still stiff.
The scroll spins smothly when the jaws are out. There are no burrs
that I can feel in the slots or on the sides of the jaws. To put the jaws
into the pockets I have to tap them in with a soft face hammer to get them
deep enough for the scroll to engage. All three jaws are equally stiff in
their slots.
I don't want to stone anything at this stage. Do we simply have a
stiff chuck??? The unit has been around a long while but has not seen
much use and is in good condition. Any suggestions appreciated.
Randy

I had the same problem with a chuck. We found some little dings that had
displaced some metal. We stoned them out and it's like silk now.