Randy Zimmerman

Default stiff three jaw

We have a three jaw chuck ( Bison brand) on our old lathe at work. The
chuck is about 18 inches in diameter. It is a brute to open and close with
the chuck key. I took the jaws out and cleaned everything then put light
oil the jaws. It is still stiff.
The scroll spins smothly when the jaws are out. There are no burrs that
I can feel in the slots or on the sides of the jaws. To put the jaws into
the pockets I have to tap them in with a soft face hammer to get them deep
enough for the scroll to engage. All three jaws are equally stiff in their
slots.
I don't want to stone anything at this stage. Do we simply have a stiff
chuck??? The unit has been around a long while but has not seen much use
and is in good condition. Any suggestions appreciated.
Randy