Dave Liquorice

On 21 Jul 2005 00:35:06 -0700, wrote:

IMHO anything with less than 2.5mm^2 CSA is to small.

20W into 4 ohms is over 2A... but it's not just the abilty to carry
the required current. The extra resistance reduces the damping on
the loudspeaker affecting the LF response.

Lets see.

Typical 8 ohm speaker, voice coil R typically 6 ohms.
5 meters of 2 core 1.29mm dia cu wire, tot 10m, 0.0128 ohm/metre,
total R 0.128 ohms.

Cable's R increase as a percentage of total speaker R: 2%.
Ie a non issue.

All I can say is that changing speaker cables from .75mm2 to 2.5mm2
made a very noticeable difference to the LF, it became tighter and
less "woffly". These cables where only about 8' long as well.

And I mean a real noticeable difference, not a "green pen" difference.

--
Cheers

Dave. pam is missing e-mail