Tom Banes wrote:
On 21 Jul 2005 13:04:31 -0700, wrote:

You do not have to remove the wood before de-rusting. You can first
clean the wood as you would if restoring a peice of furniture and
then coat it with vaseline to protect it during derusting. I've
done that with a pad saw that had split nuts I did not want to
try to loosen holding the blade to the tote.

Imust regrettfully with part of this - separate the wood if at all
possible. If not possible,follow the above plus wax it well before
applying the vaseline. Then reduce the concentration of your
electrolysis soultion by 50% and just run it longer. It does work.

Oh, I quite agree that it is best to remove the wood, just
doubt that this will be practical with a badly rusted Norris.
It is likely that the metal in contact with the wood is NOT
rusted. If it is, the rust expansion has probably locked
it in and in any event the rust will probably hide the location
of the pins Mr Norris used to anchor the wood, at least it
will until after it is removed.

--

FF