Andy Hall

Default Another exterior wiring question

On 30 May 2004 11:47:36 -0700, (Ian) wrote:

However, now that I have received the stuff I ordered I see a
potential problem - it seems like it is going to be difficult to avoid
having at least a few cm of cable exposed between the conduit and the
PIR entry holes. I can't see a way of getting a good seal between the
conduit and PIR. The lights themselves are less of a problem as I
can see a way to join the conduit to the light housing.

There is a similar problem with the fittings mounted on the outhouse
walls: even though I can drill through more or less directly where the
fitting is mounted, again there will be a few cm between the hole in
the wall and the entry hole in the fitting. (I haven't bought a socket yet
but the ones I've looked at in Wickes have their cable knockout holes around
the sides of the fitting, but none in the back.)

So, in summary:

- Should I be worried about these exposed lengths of cable?

It isn't a good idea to have exposed PVC cables really.

- Is there some way I can weatherproof/protect them?

How about using a weatherproof enclosure and mounting the PIR on the
lid with the wiring going through the base

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LB9025.html

is one example, but TLC have a range of different ones if you need a
different size.

These have knockouts to take 20mm conduit adaptors.

- should I not be using standard cable after all, but
something weatherproof instead? (This would be a pain as I've
already bought the cable etc. for the job.)

The general alternative id HiTuf.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl