Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jim Michaels wrote:
If you are watching a converted NTSC show, then it is an engineer at
the point of conversion who is adjusting the NTSC chroma phase.

You're talking about composite analogue tape recordings. These were
phased out in the early '80s for mainstream TV production. And
component recordings aren't NTSC or PAL encoded. And before the '80s,
most quality US TV shows were made on 35mm film.

Actually, I was thinking about the satellite link which often has
composite video in to and out of the transmission path even if it is a
digital path.

Ah - right. But live from the US usually consists of news stuff where
technical standards are often poor.

I believe that if people could get uncompressed 270mbit SMPTE 601
component digital video in their living rooms, most people would
believe that what they were getting was equal to HD and even when
shown HD side by side would not be willing to pay any substantial
amount for the small difference.

Yup. But then very few TVs are capable of making a really decent fist of
PAL 625 let alone anything better.

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.