Capitol

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Much wrongness again. The petrol motor is one of two motors that combine as
"one entity" to give the power/torque characteristics of one electric motor.
There is no CVT/gearbox between only one of the motors and the wheels, as
the two motors are as one.

You have big trouble grapsing this simple concept.

True, your grasp is not complete! The gearbox is an epicyclic, with 3
driven shafts and 3 motors. Two of which can function as generators.
This produces a CVT transmission which is then geared down to road speed
with the chain reduction drive and differential gears.
(apparently, they only changed the epicyclic gear ratios on the later
Prius, although they relabeled it as CVT) The effect of using the
Atkinson cycle is to produce an ICE which will only operate
satisfactorily at certain rotational speeds, thus the electric motors
have to compensate for the engine shortcomings. The effect when you
drive the car hard, can be similar to the unwanted gearshifting of a
poor auto gearbox, with the torque applied at the wheels suddenly
changing when you don't want it to as the 3 power components don't quite
mesh perfectly!

It is of interest to note, that the latest Toyota eco car that I have
seen, has a diesel engine and I believe a normal CVT transmission. This
gives 100mpg claimed!

Regards
Capitol