Default Gas meter location - any laws/regulation on this??

Transco are in the process of renewing the gas supply to the block of
flats I live in. At present, my gas meter is located in a cupboard
within the flat, supplied by a central pipe that travels through the
building. Transco have proposed to run a new pipe on the outside of my
3 storey block, with a pipe coming into my flat through the main
bedroom with a meter here also. THe pipe will then run the length of
the bedroom to join the existing pipe in the cupboard to supply the
appliances. I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my
existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas. Are there
any regulations of safety guidance regarding the location of gas
meters?

I would appreciate any advice/guidance on this matter.

Many thanks!!