Martin Angove

In message ,
Jim Michaels wrote:

The standard Kitchen circuit is 20amps at 120V for a 2,400watt
capacity. There is a restriction of 80% for a single item unless it
is a single outlet circuit and often these circuits have receptacles
rated at only 15amps.

The 15amp receptacle is also de rated to 80% if the device is expected
to run over 3 hours (such as a fire). A microwave is permitted to use
the full 1800watts that it's 15amp plug will provide.
Remove SPAMX from email address

So you have a 20 Amp fused (radial) circuit which...

....is only allowed to carry 16A for any single appliance where there is
more than one outlet;

....could have two (or more?) 15A receptacles fitted - unfused;

....could therefore have receptacles fitted which are not rated to the
capacity of the circuit or fused appropriately;

....could have receptacles fitted which although nominally rated at 15A
are only allowed to supply 12A (1440W) continuously (why?, and what on
earth is the difference between over three hours and under three hours?
Over 30 minutes and under 30 minutes I might have understood)

....and how on earth is this policed?

I'm afraid it sounds like a dreadful bodge to me. Compliance with that
kind of code relies hugely on the householder "behaving
themselves". Compare that with our system where every single power
take-off point is either fully rated for the fused capacity of the
circuit (e.g. blue 16A/32A BS4343 plugs) or is separately fused at a
suitable rating (e.g. 13A BS1363 plugs, 13A fused outlets). The onus to
"get it right" is on the installer with these. Once correctly installed
it is difficult for the user to misuse the system dangerously.

Penbleth 8-/

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Journeys begin with a single step, and a decision to take it.