Pete C

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:31:12 +0100, Capitol
wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:

US machines use many, many times the quantity of water and detergent
and are an environmental nightmare.

European machines used to have heating elements and a separate hot
fill to start it off. This is no longer done as the machines use so
little water that there is no energy to be saved when you account for
the lost hot water in the pipework every time it fills.

And the result is washing machines which give you back clothes in more
or less the same filthy state as when you put them in! So you have to
wash them 2 or 3 times and the energy efficiency is unbelievably bad.
I'm still regretting not rebuilding my old washing machine when it lost
it's bearings, the local noise level is sometimes near deafening when
she looks at the results of the new machine. Looks to me like the same
effect as replacing an old working boiler with a modern piece of crap
which will not last 5 years without failure! Totally false accounting.
Just like buying a Prius!

Hi,

What make and model machine do you have, and what temperature do you
use? Do you know what the wash efficiency rating is?

cheers,
Pete.