vandelay

Default Domestic steam cleaners?

Andrew McKay wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:33:03 +0100, derek
wrote:

Women like them because you can freshen up fabrics like curtains and
carpets, but to my mind they just leave them slightly damp making the
colours more contrasty, when they dry out, it's back to square one.

Always makes me smile when I switch thru an advertising channel on
Sky, and they are doing one of these steam cleaners as a special deal.

Invariably they show this lovely steam cleaner removing the solid bake
on an oven door or around the gas hob. Like that stuff got there at
several hundred degrees C, and the steam is vapourising it at 100
degrees C.

Ah, the bliss of a marketing consultant. I'm just surprised they
aren't telling me it'll improve my pecs

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

I've got one of those Steam Buggies you see on TV. Didn't order it
myself - asked somebody to get it for me as a christmas present
(couldn't bear personally shelling out the ridiculous price for it).

It works by a pressurised steam jet. It's not like a wallpaper steamer
which is basically like a kettle with a hose on the end.

But the Steam Buggy works. It might be small but it really works. It can
shift grease and dirt that usually only soaking with bleach spray will
shift. My parents recently moved house and I did their kitchen with it -
sink, tiles, floor. Everything looked like new when I'd finished. It's
particularly good on alluminium sinks.

The trouble is that they're difficult to use. They have to "warm up" and
you get around 10 minutes out of one load of water. You then have to
wait whilst it cools down before refilling, Fill too soon and it spits
boiling water at you.

There's also no way of controlling the steam so if you want to wipe up
the mess or have a go with a cloth, you need to find a sink to point the
thing into whilst you're busy.