fhobson wrote:
I have come across an old Norris plane. The metal body is quite badly
rusted. What is the best method of cleaning it up? Any help and advice would
be appreciated.

Do a Google or Altavista webwearch on "electrolytic rust removal"
I've done this on many planes, though never on a Norris, that looked
TERRIBLE and always had very good results. Practice first on some
rusty piece of scrap.

You do not have to remove the wood before de-rusting. You can first
clean the wood as you would if restoring a peice of furniture and
then coat it with vaseline to protect it during derusting. I've
done that with a pad saw that had split nuts I did not want to
try to loosen holding the blade to the tote.

Good luck.

Oh, By the way, you found a Norris? You suck!

--

FF