Chip

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:18:19 GMT,it is alleged that "BigWallop"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

"Ian" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the reply. I would hire an electrician if I was installing
something from scratch, but changing like for like shouldn't be too much

of
a problem. In this case it seems to be a problem, so I will probably hire

in
an electrician to sort things out for me. If anyone has any other
suggestions I will be all ears!

It isn't difficult Ian, it's just wrong marking on the existing cables
that's got you confused. One of the black wires is being used as a live
feed from the switch to the light fitting, and this is normal.

All you need is the two black wires to the light fitting, and leave the red
wires connected together in the choc-block. Connect the earth wires to the
fitting as normal.

How it's been done is.

The live feed from the breaker has been taken directly to the switch via the
choc-block.

The black wire has been taken from the switch to the light fitting as a
continuation of the red wire, but it hasn't been marked properly as such.

The black wire from the light fitting goes back to the fuse box to finish
the circuit.

So, as you see, it isn't difficult when it's broken down to its basic
configuration really.

Just a thought here. The OP stated that if hooked up to both blacks,
(which sounds correct to me given how we're all picturing the wiring)
the light remains on _permanently_. Also that if connected with
red-red, black-black etc, it blows the breaker. (this second is not
surprising IF the switch is *on*, but shouldn't occur if it's off). I
am wondering "shorted/broken switch maybe?".

--
The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those
which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.