Ian

Thanks for the reply. That is what I have done - much head scratching from
me as to why it doesn't work... Time to call an electrician.

Ian
"AJB" wrote in message
It's _probably_

The light has 3 connections - Live, Neutral and earth. It hopefully also
has an additional choc block connection that doesn't actually connect to
a wire within the light.

You've got 6 cables. Presumably two outer cables each containing a red,
a black and an earth.

Two earths connect together, and connect to the 'earth' on the new
light.

Two reds connect together, and connect to the choc block connection in
the new light that's the spare.

One of the blacks connects to the neutral of the new light. One connects
to the live. If it doesn't indicate a specific live and neutral, it
doesn't matter which way round. If the new fluro prefers live and
neutral in specific positions, you ought to know which of the two mains
cables is permanent live and which goes to the light switch... Which
means you might need to test it...

But, if you don't know how to connect a light up, you probably shouldn't
be doing this anyway.

(And it's now illegal, anyway, in a bathroom).

A.

In article , says...
Hi,

I have installed a new bathroom light. (changed from a 60w bulb to a 38w
fluorescent) I have 2 cables coming into the light each containing a red,
black and earth core.

My old light had the 2 reds connected to each other using chocolate block,
the 2 earths to an earth terminal and each black to its own terminal. If
do the same with the new light it remains on permanently. I have swapped
the
blacks around and there is no change. (The instructions with the light
states to connect the reds to live, black to neutral, and earths to earth
terminal. This just trips the breaker.)

Can you help me - what have I done wrong?
Thanks
Ian