BigWallop

Default ground floor chimney breast partial removal

JK wrote:
I've read with some alarm old posts in the group about removing the chimney
breast from downstairs rooms. I don't really fancy the expense of getting
it completely removed and properly supported. But is there a way of simply
opening it up to somewhere near ceiling height, leaving a pillar of bricks
on either side and supporting with an RSJ across those pillars. So it would
be like a normal fireplace, only a lot bigger, creating an alcove of usable
space. This is in a ground floor flat, no access to the upstairs at all
(though cooperative people upstairs who would allow anything that was
complying with regs and done by professionals).

Thanks,

John

There is no way to remove only a partial section of a chimney breast because it
is most commonly forming an actual part of the building structural support. The
only way is to remove all or none I'm afraid.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com