meirman

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 21 Jul 2005 06:59:34 GMT "JOHN D"
posted:

There's a lotta things I want/need do in the attic..
The previous owner removed or never installed the chimney pipes for the wood
burning fireplace. The pipes go into the attic but not out through the roof.
I need to fix that. Needless to say ,We don't can't, never did, use the
fireplace. As it is it's must be one helluva code violation.
I want to add 1 or 2 elect circuits to the kitchen.
I have some quiet vent fans for the bathrooms. Looking into the attic, I
can't see any vent pipes comeing form the existing vent fans. I need to
add a vent fan for the laundry room.
From time to time I want to run some new TV & Ham radio antenna, phone,
network, allarm cables.
Some day I want to remodel the master bath which would require some new
plumbing vent connections in the attic.

All I have is an opening to the attic that will only take a 17 or
18inch wide board. So I cut some 4 x 8 sheets of plywood to 16 inch
widths, and little by little I've been flooring the attic. The middle
is floored and I have a few spare pieces to go to outlying areas.
Used to have to move those around, but have enough now to leave them
where they are. I've used some scrap wood that a friend was throwing
away. Mostly 3/8" iirc because it's easier to carry and move around,
and cheaper, but as I gain weight, doesn't seem so good. Well I never
merely walk on the floor. I always aim my feet at the joists.

Still two layers of 3/8th might be easier, if more expensive, than
1/2.

I did a lot of things, ceiling light, roof fan, phone jacks, alarm
sirens (inside and out), speaker wiring, cable tv, ceiling fixtures
for two bedrooms below, including wiring down one outside wall, but
still not as much as you have to do. I don't plan to ever make the
floor look nice.or to nail it to the joists. Too many empty boxes in
the way. Maybe the next owner will.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether