Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message

No, you are still obviously not comprehending.
It does not have a conventional CVT gearbox.
However it does have a gear system that allows
the drive ratio between engine and wheels to
vary at will. Hence it is a form of CVT.

Wrong.

Back to basics again:
An EV has only an electric motor and no in-line gearbox between it and the
wheels. It can deliver the required levels of power/torque at the wheels.

The 4-stroke internal combustion engine is inadequate. It requires an
in-line gearbox, shifting up and down torque, as it cannot deliver the
power/torque directly on demand as an electric motor does.

Now the above is quite clear.

In effect the power splitter on a Prius combines the petrol motor and the
elecric motor into one motor with electric motor qualities of delivering
power/torque to the wheels on-demand. This means no in-line gearing or
belts are required to raise and lower torque.

Read the above again and understand. It is the key.

There is nothing potentially unreliabe
about the Prius. It is the USAs 1st
or 2nd most reliable car.

Data source?

See other post. JD Power voted the Prius the most reliable car in its
segment.

Image you mentioned. It has image!!!!
Dustan Hoffman was the first in
California to drive out with a new Lexus hybrid

I can see the Lexus would appeal more in that market.

So does the Prius. Last year many top actors turned up in a Prius rather
than a big black limo to the Oscars.

If TD's are so bad, why did you buy two?

Company cars. I had the choice so decided to go for what appeared on paper
to me economic for me to run. The TDs were no more economic than the petrol
version in real driving, A waste of noisy, expensive, dirty and smelly
time.

Comparing the Prius with an TD is bordering on silliness.