Richard Faulkner wrote:
In message om, Velvet
writes

LOL, thanks peeps :-)

I suspect its cos you said you had so few tools.

I only mentioned fire extinguisher because, when I turned on the C/H in
one of my flats the other day, there was a sharp crack, the power went
off, and I could smell a burning smell near the Fuse Box. It turned out
to be no big deal - a wire had burnt out, and cooled down fairly
quickly, and it's now fixed. However, I felt really
uncomfortable/worried, and would have felt a lot better if I had had an
extinguisher handy. Pull the loop, aim at base of fire, press the
trigger - not sure what's difficult about that g

Not difficult, but if I understand right, lethal. It is essential to
stand on the exit side of the fire, so that when the fire is 5x the
size after youre done spraying it, youre not then trapped and facing
death. That is, again IIUC, one way they get people into trouble.
Another is they expose you to smoke inhalation, which kills more people
than the fire itself.

I was told that unless youre a fire fighter, get out and stay out.

FYI I have almost completed the refurbishment of a block of 6 flats, and
fire extinguishers are due to be fitted shortly.

Have smoke detector but am thinking need another one (current place all
on one floor, new is typical semi over two). No, I'm not stealing the
landlady's one, it's mine cos there'd never been one installed when I
started renting it 13 years ago

Smoke alarms are cheap, unreliable, and life savers. Use 3 or 4.

NT