Bill Rubenstein

After reading my own message, I had another thought. What I said
assumes that you are using the right pulley combination -- little on
motor and big on spindle.

There was a Stubby owner (I can't remember the name and wouldn't use it
even if I did) who complained about lack of power at low speed on his
machine. Nobody thought, for some days of discussion, to ask the
question about which pulley he was using. There were lots of exotic
answers but the simple one just didn't come to mind.

Bill

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
For 99% of us, 2 hp (with a vfd) is the way to go and if you need more
than that, you need to reevaluate your turning technique. The 3 hp
motor will give you the ability to slip the belt more but I suspect you
don't want that. To transmit the power from a 3 hp motor, you need to
consider two belts. Then you get into matching them and all sorts of
stuff you probably don't want to deal with.

That said, on occasion there is a production turner who works so fast
and aggressively that a 3 hp motor makes sense. I can't see any spindle
work which would require that kind of power no matter how aggressive,
though.

One person's opinion...

Bill

Harry Pye wrote:

Owen Lowe wrote:

Question: Coming from a 3/4 HP (or is it 1HP?) Delta midi - I'm
looking at a 2 HP Oneway. If one is not turning 18"+ work from rough
to finish on a regular basis would the 2 HP be suitable or is the 3
HP the only way to go? In what turning situations would one see the
power difference?

Owen,

We have talked about the Delta Midi in the past and if yours is like
mine, it is a 1/2 HP the same as the Jet. As far as what is the best
choice, I have no idea. I guess as a last resort, size counts.

Good luck with the Oneway!

Harry