Bob

Default Cold water return for a hot water line

This is my first visit to this group, so the question may be
a repeat.
I am thinking about installing a return pipe on my hot water
feed to the kitchen to reduce the amount of cold water that
is wasted before the hot water has reached the sink.
Where is the best place to make the connection close to the
hot water tank? It takes nearly four litres of cold water to
run through the pipes before the hot water arrives. I have
lots of pipe and connections left over from different
projects and I might as well use them for this. My ceiling
is easy to access. My problem is knowing where to connect
near the tank.
I have also read that some people have installed a "U" near
the tank to reduce the loss of heat when hot water is not
being drawn for use. Anyone have any details about this idea?
Many thanks for your ideas.

Bob