Mellowed

My hitch is directly over the rear axle. Vehicle is a '99 F350 CC 4x4
8' bed. Hitch weight is 2300 lbs. Handling is transparent. With the
5th wheel attached, the truck is level. 5th wheel axles have been
reversed to match the truck.

"Nehmo" wrote in message
: A fifth-wheel trailer is one that has a hitch that connects to the
: towing vehicle at a point above the rear axle of the towing vehicle -
: not at a point on the rear of the vehicle as with a pull-behind
trailer.
: For example, this is a 5th wheel:
: http://www.theironworker.com/Fifth%2...%20Trailer.jpg
:
: My question concerns position of the point of attachment, let's say,
the
: position of the king pin. For normal pulling of the trailer, where is
: the best point to have the king pin? Should it be directly over the
axle
: of the towing vehicle or should it be ahead of the axle? If ahead, by
: how much? In what ways does handling change if the position of the
king
: pin is changed?
:
: This page http://www.etrailer.com/faq/fifthwheelfaq.asp discusses
using
: a slider arrangement to move the king pin for maneuverability. It
doesn'
: t discuss the optimum position for towing.
:
: Instructions that came with a hitch say to mount 0 to 6 inches ahead
of
: the axle, but provides no further information.
:
: --
: