Honest John

wrote in message
oups.com...

"If I didn't love this Rolex, I wouldn't be trying to take it apart! "

Something doesn't sound right about that statement. It reminds me of the
guy that was convicted of killing his wife and told the judge at sentencing:
If I didn't love her I wouldn't have stabbed her to death. Somehow we, the
alt.horology guys, must impress upon you that the first watch that an
amateur, like yourself, takes apart or works on will be totally destroyed.
This is why Jack rightly suggested that you get a junk watch to work on
first. I say a dozen junk watches (usually for $9.99 on e-bay)
Please don't destroy the one "thing" that you love to have. More than
likely all the watch needs is a good cleaning. The fact that it runs if hit
usually turns out to be some debris or dirt or even a small hair fragment
being moved about inside the movement. I know that you're proud of your
front lawn, and I mine, but I destroyed about 6 watches before I got my
senses attuned to the very delicate touch required to work on a mechanical
watch, and then there's the matter of proper tools. They aren't available
at Wal-Mart. Look I don't know of anybody that will give lessons to a
beginner, but just start your watch fixing adventure on the "other" end of
the watch value spectrum; destroy the cheapies before you "attack" the
expensive personal heirloom