Stormin Mormon

"Tim H" wrote in message
oups.com...

My girlfriend owns the house and she is set on a whole new system as
money is not really an issue. I agree that it's not worth spending the
money on such an old system. And changing the fan motor was cheap and
easy for me but the compressor is beyond my abilities.
CY: Please get three estimates from different companies. The guys I've
talked to like some brands, but not others. The cheapest bid will likely be
poor quality equipment, or installation.

How will a heatload test tell me how big to size the system and what
numbers should I be looking for? The house is about 2600 ft2 including
the basement.
CY: Others are more qualified than I, to describe this. However, the tech
should measure the house, consider the types of walls, and your location
(lattitude, climate, etc). S/he will end up with a figure of about how much
cooling power you need.

Besides a scroll compressor what are the other types and how is the
scroll better?
CY: The other types are piston, and rotary. The scroll is quieter, and uses
less electricity.

What does a TVX control do?
CY: A TXV stands for Thermostatic Expansion Valve. It is a valve that
reguates the ammount of freon going into the evaporator. Depending on the
heat load, an AC might need more or less freon to keep the coil cold. And,
so it adjusts the freon flow. This maintains a good cold temperature, and is
less likely to freeze the coil. It also reduces your electric bill. A coil
without a TXV uses capillary tubes or an orifice. Some folks call an orifice
a "piston" though I don't know why. Somehow, a hole that regulates the flow
of refrigerant isn't a piston in my mind.

I'm also thinking about adding an electronic air cleaner. Does anyone
have advice on this and know about what it should cost?
CY: Don't think I've ever installed one. Worked on one years ago, but don't
know what it costed.

Thanks,

Tim H
CY: You're welcome.