Sherman

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:53:07 GMT, "Rick" wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Sherman" wrote in message
My 4 year old lawnmower gets hot and dies. I can mow for 15

minutes
and it coughs and sputters and then shuts down completely and will

not
restart - for 15 minutes. Then it will start and runs another 10
minutes.

Seems to be a heat related issue. I cleaned out the debris and
replaced the spark plug. No change.

What could be wrong and how do I determine it?

Sherman

Lots of things...

But check for spark next time it happens-if not, you need a new
magneto coil. That's about $40

If it has a primer bulb, see if it's collapsed-could have a plugged
pickup tube screen in the gas tank. You drop the tank to clean that

Oh yeah-check the vent on the gas cap, too. Do the simple things
first...

Rick says "Check the vent on the gas cap, too".

Well, Bingo! Rick wins.

After checking for spark after it died, and getting a positive
response from my wife on spark, I replaced the spark plug cap and
reached up untwisted the gas cap off a 1/4 turn and it started on the
first pull.

Now, I looked and I don't see any hole in the gas cap for it to vent.
I hate that she has to mow with the gas cap not tight. She might
catch the mower on fire. I'd hate to lose that old mower.

Do I just drill a small hole in the cap?

Sherman.