bc

wrote in
:

Ok, I'm lost as to how attic (on top of drip) would give a clue..

I was hoping there was a way to do it without tearing open the
basement ceilings underneath the drip..

or I was hoping someone knew that the wood would resist certain
damage..

my folks left me half the house and I'm kinda stuck as "junior"
partner..

Sorry, your original post said something about not wanting to open
the ceiling to look for damage -- I assumed that the drip was in a pipe
in the attic. But since it is on the ground floor, why not open the
ceiling and check? If it's rotten, the typical repair around here
is to stabilize and isolate the rot and sister in a new beam to the
good wood. Likewise for termite damage.