Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:24:10 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Toyota have put an "E" in front of CVT, to differentiate it from
conventional CVTs. It is nothing like a conventional CV, is

construction,
as there is none, or in function. Putting a "P", for power, in front

would
have been more apt and meaningful... PCVT. The term "power splitter" is
semi-apt as that is what it does, but its prime function is to "combine"
power from two differnt souces, rather than split it. See my other post

on
this.

This is marketing hype of the highest order. It seems to me that the
reality of the situation is that they don't want to use the term CVT
because it conjures up images of the kind of rubber band image of the
old DAF cars.

They would have been better off not having used the term in the first
place because they probably do have something that is different in
terms of the details of how it operates. However, they have stuffed
themselves because they have used the term CVT in their marketing
information, and having screwed up now need to distance themselves
from it.

Exactly. I would have ran away from the term.

Really the marketing manager should
be fired for not having done his
homework in the first place.

I agree.

The fact that they have done this positioning, to me calls into
question their credibility on all of the aspects of the car and its
specification.

It is brilliant and the first of a line that most others will follow, until
fuel cells, full EV, etc, come in.

This is not to say that I don't think that Toyota isn't a good company
or that they don't make excellent products. My wife had a Corolla
that we bought new in 1985 for just over £5000. We sold it for a few
hundred quid two years ago and had spent about £1000 on it over its
lifetime, not including tyres and consumables. It was always
reliable.

However, it appears in this case that they are over-marketing to the
gullible eco-nazis and using the standard test methods of fuel
consumption to their advantage.

The problem is they not at al. The cars sells itself, with virtually no
advertising. There is a waiting list in every country it is sold, inc UK

If you are going to buy a car for eco-reasons then it should be on the
basis of looking at the total eco-impact,

The aim is to reduce pollution in built up areas, as they are the big
current problem. It does that wonderfully, and also reduces pollution
overall too.

not on how it behaves in the
context of test methods built around conventional cars.

There are 100,000s, maybe millions by now, of Mk2s around and it does
exactly what it says on the box, and even more. The user groups give a
teste of what it does.

I have the distinct feeling that this is
what is being done here, and I don't buy
it.

Quite the opposite in fact.