Rick

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:38:14 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

I am trying to finalise drawing details for submission to building control.
Intend to install steel beam to support ceiling joists by "notching" joist
ends into either side of beam.
I do not believe that this beam is taking any load other than the weight of
ceiling/joist materials (the roof is traditional construction, not modern
braced truss).

What sort of arrangement is required/expected at the ends of the beam for
support?
I seem to remember talk of padstones and also the need to pack up the beam
ends with slate (if adjustment is necessary) and not simply rest the steel
on a mortar bed.
Also I expect it will be necessary to "build in", ie brick fully around the
beam end profile to achieve solid fixing.

Can anyone comment on the above please?
Also, what form do the padstones take? I anticipate a concrete block maybe
18" long to shed the beam end load into the brick/block work beneath.

TIA

Phil

You need padstones to spread the load from the beam into the wall. My
engineer worked out the size and strnegth for mine. My luck was in,
and 7N blocks fitted the requirments in every case. Aparently
curbstones can alos be used. My wall is 4N blocks, but he worked it
out for a wall made from 3N blocks.

I have also used sandstone blocks of similar sizes, as these are even
stronger.

Stale packers are OK, as in the right direction, its stonger too.

To attach the rafters, my engineer specifed as 2x4 bolted on every
800mm with 10mm bolts, on alternating sides of the RSJ. Then you just
nail the rafters to the 4x2

Rick