jakdedert

I've been following this thread, and am wondering if the mute function on
this amp is different than most I've used.

In every one I've owned, the mute is really a -10 to -20 dB attenuator as
opposed to an absolute silencing of all audio. In fact, I usually use my
daily driver in mute mode because it gives me finer control over the volume,
especially given the 'stepped' nature of the remote operation. With the
mute off, I don't turn the knob past 10 o'clock or so in normal operation.
With the mute on, I get up to maybe 3 o'clock before distortion set in. (Of
course, this mode occasionally 'bites' me when someone hits the mute button
with the volume up.)

jak

"Gary Walker" wrote in message
.. .

Well, I have read the owner's(aka instruction manual),
both in hardcopy & online. Very little is said concerning
the mute specification, other than: (paraphrasing)

Mute can be initiated via the rc transmitter(which I never
used since the unit was new, 10 years ago).

Mute can be disabled via the rc transmitter, or by offing
the amp. I've pretty much proven this power cycling of
the amp will not de-mute.

I'll agree though, mute is probably on for a reason, it's
just a matter of whether the reason is valid(reversible),
or invalid(irreversible, without internal intervention).

Because of its long periods of service(it gets left on 24-
36 hours sometimes), I had just been wondering how this
might affect its health, and what I'd do if it failed.

But, I expected an amplifier breakdown, not a false mute
mode interruption. I am going to try one last thing this
afternoon, as soon as I can dig up a couple of AAA bat-
teries. I'll replug the rc cable, arm the remote, and see if
the rc operation has any effect.

But, I hold little optimism.

Pending results....

Thanks,

Gary

"NSM" wrote in message

"Gary Walker" wrote in message
. ..

Well, that's kool, I do that sometimes myself....

Yeah, it appears that the amp is in permanent mute mode.

I did just speak with the amp repair friend(guitar/instru-
ment amps), and he said he'd need a schematic. Over-
all, it just seems like it will require extraordinary effort
as opposed to a ~$300 replacement.

It may be in mute mode for a reason - perhaps solvable by reading the
owner's manual?