My 5914 had about 2.25 INCHES of backlash in the center of the lead
screw when I bought it. I think the machine was only being used to cut
off parts (not using the middle part of the lead screw) at the end of
its commercial life. I bought the new nut for about $50, cut the screw
thread off of the lead screw asm and silver soldered a new length of
acme screw stock onto the remaining stub of the lead screw. Alignment
was not perfect so I ended up laying the asm on a steel table and
giving it a few loving taps w/ a copper or brass mallet. I got the
idea for only replacing the threaded portion her on this news group
about 3 years ago (just as I was beginning to repair this machine). I
still had my mid 1920's vintage South Bend lathe to turn the ends of
the acme threaded stock and the stub end of the original lead screw. I
bought a 3 or 6 ft long stick of precision acme screw stock from
McMaster Carr.