Fr@nk

"Norminn" wrote in message
clipped

I would be squeamish about putting the patio smack-dab against the
house. With so little space between patio and threshold, windblown
water would be one issue. Snow/ice melt another. I'm in Fla., have two
patios, but about four inch curb up to living space (on slab). Only an
8' storm surge or a busted pipe will flood us )

I don't know the likelihood, but settling could leave you with the low
end next to the door, or pitching against the basement wall. Can your
situation use a patio away from the basement wall, with soil border and
a paver or walk between? My daughter has a driveway smack dab against
her foundation, which is actually higher than her basement window sills.
Problem with snow and water accumulation.

Yep, I'm still trying to find pre-fab concrete slabs (basically large
stepping stones) to just lay in place here. The permanency of poured
concrete freaks me out a bit, for the reasons you mention. At least with
large rectangular concrete squares, I could always move them if necessary.

If I can find pre-fabs, I'll probably throw a couple of those down, and
forget about pouring concrete. But mixing and pouring concrete would produce
a nice walkout. We'll see...

Anyone know where you can get the nice big concrete slabs that (for example)
you see placed under heat pumps or outside AC units? Something 3' x 3' would
be fine, or 4' x 3' would be perfect. I definitely can't find these things
at HD or Lowe's. Thanks.

Fr@nk