G Henslee

Hi guys, new here to posting, but lurk a lot.

I'm in the process of tearing out my solid surface shower. I want to
put in tile walls with a prefab shower pan. It's just a basic tract
house, so I don't want anything fancy or $$$.

I just want to go with the basic eggshell white tiles with a basic
accent.

Questions:

1- Home Depot is very close by and therefore very convenient to
purchase hardware, etc. Is it a good idea to get the tile there? I will
be doing the countertop too. They have the color that matches the other
countertops in the house.

They used to carry DalTile as their basic vanilla tile. Don't know
anymore. And I don't where you are and if there are tile supply
companies in your area. HD will probably suffice for your job.

2- I see there are two ways to prep the walls. One is to remove the
greenboard, apply felt, then backerboard and tile over that. Another
way is to apply felt and backboard over the existing greenboard, and
then use bullnose on the edges. Which way do you think looks better?

There's 2 kinds of bullnose. One with a radius and one without called
surface bullnose. Your choice. Personally I prefer mortar for all
substrates but in your (diy) case I would apply the backer over the
green. Makes for a stiffer wall and allows for the radius bullnose in
lieu of the less distinct surface bullnose. Forget the felt. It's not
needed.

3- What do you use to seal the overlap seams on the felt? caulking?

Forget the felt. It's not needed.

4- Is there a specific height the faucet handles and shower head have
to be? I'm fairly tall.

Install them to fit your comfort zone. The shower head being the
critical one.

Last- What do you think of a recessed shampoo box?

They're fine but as you know, more work for the tiler. Personally I
prefer ceramic corner shelves same color as the tile. If it's a 3 wall
shower and of decent size I like one for a bottle or two and the other
for the soap. Soap dish as well if it's a tub/shower.