Andy Mckenzie

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , David Clay
writes
Hi
Does anyone know where I stand it extending and building over a well /
water
store that is within 8 feet of my house.
The well is about 10 foot deep and 4 feet in diameter, can I build over it
after capping or do I need to fill it in?

Any info most welcome.

Don't know about building problems but for interest....

We lived in a house built in 1907 which had a *soft water well*
constructed close (about 6') to the kitchen wall. All the rain water was
collected and routed into the chamber with overflow pipes to soaks in
the garden. There had been a *tank room* on the second floor which a
previous owner had converted to a tiny bathroom.

The structure was built in brick with an arched roof to carry the patio.

If yours is similar, checking your rainwater disposal system might be
wise:-) Otherwise, I don't see why you can't use a suitably sized
concrete lintel to carry the new imposed load. Watch out for the
overflow pipes.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

If you are going to fill it -
http://publications.environment-agen...99BEHE-e-e.pdf has
guidance on the environmental side, if not on the engineering of backfilling
ells.

Andy