T i m

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 06:23:18 +0000 (UTC), Edward W. Thompson
wrote:

snip
With respect to acceleration, sure that's important if you are going
to race the vehicle but what other true relevance does it have when
considering the car is for transportation?

Indeed, as-long-as it can hold it's own with a typical vehicle found
on the road today (and I believe it can), otherwise it becomes an
'obstruction' (strings of vehicles having to overtake using more fuel
/ taking more risks)?

My old 2L Sierra was never an issue anywhere whereas my 1.9 non turbo
Rover is ok on it's own but can run out of puff over a certian
gradient when towing our (smallish / 350kg) folding van. I still
prefer to drop down a gear and stick in the kerb (letting folk
overtake easily if they want) than buy a bigger (less economical)
vehicle for one or two hills maybe once or twice a year?

If you regard it as some
sort of macho toy then that is another matter.

As we know some do. ;-(

I suggest vehicles such
as the Prius are not intended for the 'boy racer' market.

Like (luckily) the *majority* of vehicles seen on the road today? It's
funny today, often the difference between what yer granny might drive
and 'one of the lads' is just 10,000W of ICE and some neon lights ;-)

Eco interest has always been complicated though hasn't it. Yer
stereotypical 'Green peace / Save the whale' person may be seen on a
cycle (good) or in a 70 mpg but 'dirty' 2CV. But are poor emmissions
*actually* any worse for the planet (ignoring the smog for a second)
than very low mpg, from something that took 5 x the energy to make
than the 2CV, but may burn fuel cleaner (I'm also thinking rapid
consumption of a dwindling fuel here)? shrug

All the best ..

T i m