Adrian Brentnall

Hi all

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:21:50 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

"David Clay" wrote in message
Hi
Does anyone know where I stand it extending and building over a well /
water store that is within 8 feet of my house.
The well is about 10 foot deep and 4 feet in diameter, can I build over it
after capping or do I need to fill it in?

Any info most welcome.

Check with your local Council building control people - it's one of
the things that they got very excited about when we were doing
building work here.....

....the workshop would have got very complicated and had enormous
foundation until the BCO kindly suggested a 'work-around' - which was
much easier...

David

how did they dig those wells that deep anyway?

The technique round here (sandy Suffolk) seems to be to use concrete
interlocking 'sewer'-pipe - big rings maybe 4 ft diameter and a couple
of feet deep.

Sit one flat on the surface of the ground, then dig away the earth
from inside the ring and underneath the lower edge.

The ring then drops into the hole that you just dug. When the top edge
of the ring is just above ground level, place another ring on top of
it, and repeat the digging.

When you hit water, dig a bit further and then stop.

Our well is about 25ft deep, and produces all the water you'd ever
need - waste water goes to our septic tank. No involvement from any
water authority - no costs other than £40 - per year for water
filters.

Want to buy a bungalow, anybody ?
http://www.inspired-glass.co.uk/bungalow.htm

Adrian
Suffolk UK

steve

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply