Leif Thorvaldson

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article . com,
wrote:

my problem is how to charge for shipping and should
I add a handling fee? I hate handling fees, however, I'm learning
there is a cost to handling. I've been quoting exact shipping to zip
codes. After buying tissue paper, bubble wrap and tape, then there's
the PayPal fees, ...

Hi Ruth. Seems like all the responses so far are advising to just build
it into the item cost and leave shipping as an exact line item. Well,
I'm no different with the exception of putting some sort of blurb into
your descriptions that there are no extra packaging or handling fees -
something on the order of: "All items are carefully wrapped and
cushioned against damage for the journey from my door to yours with no
additional packaging or handling fees."

Well, you get the picture - let them know that a valuable service and
expense is put into every order with no extra costs. Whenever you are
going through additional steps beyond what is expected or customary let
your customers know. Jeez, even when it is customary, let them know -
the guys who don't promote these services are then perceived as more
costly since it's implied they'll be charging - whether they do or not.

======Owen! For shame! Ruth's not that kind of gal*G* You're suggesting
she stoop to false advertising?? Rather let the customer assume the cost of
the packaging and handling is incorporated into the price and have her
establish appropriate postage from the U.S. Postal Service, UPS, etc. If one
must have a statement then let it be something to the effect that all
shipments are carefully prepared and wrapped and leave it at that. Boy! I
am going to have to really examine claims made by Oregon companies that ship
their merchandise before ordering from them!!! 8^)

Leif