George E. Cawthon

Stretch wrote:
It takes 10 to 15 minutes for the suction temperatures to completely
settle out after the unit is started, based on my data loggers. So it
should have been running that long before he checked it. Then when he
was done charging it, he should have watched it for at least 10 minutes
more. A mis-charged unit will not cool properly nor will it get rated
efficiency.

George E. Cawthon wrote:

So what makes you think he didn't check the temps?
All my wife told him was that it didn't seem to
be cooling quite right after she heard a gurgle.
(personally I didn't agree with my wife but it did
seem to cool a bit better).

How do you check the subcool and the super heat?
Do you go inside? I've never seen an AC guy check
a unit by going inside the house! Hell I don't
know exactly what he did.

In fact, to achieve rated efficiency, it must have the proper charge,
the correct air flow, be the proper size, and have a correvct equipment
match between the outdoor unit and the indoor coil.

If your tech never goes inside to measure the indoor temperature, he
cannot follow the manufacturer's recommendation. I would suggest that
you get a new service company to get your unit serviced properly. By
your own description, it was serviced improperly.

The price is not the main issue, but the amount of time. Unless he is a
super hero who can warp time, he cannot do a proper job using your time
estimates. The price will vary with wholesale prices, exact motor
models, company overhead costs, labor rates for your area, insurance
rates, average travel times etc. Every company is different. That is
why I gave such a wide range of prices.

Not trying to be a smart alec, just trying to do it right.

By the way, I can get you a great deal on a YUGO, you seem like the
kind of guy who likes to save money that way! Be careful how you save
money, it can cost you in the end!

Stretch

Ok, one last time. I know nothing about AC, but
am rather sceptical about the so called science of
adjusting the units. First, I have never had an
AC on a car that was fixed for some reason or
other that provided really cold air. Three
experiences, so far. I had one AC on a car that
was leaking and just added Freon, I don't know how
much, maybe a pound and it worked fine for about 4
months before, did it the next summer, with the
same result and then sold the car. I currently
have three vehicles ranging from 11 years to 5
years old with original ACs that have never been
touched and continue to provide very cold air.
That experience leads me to believe that many if
not most auto AC mechanics don't know what they
are doing. Note that, in one case it cost over
$300 just to get one leaking unit sealed dryer
changed, and working (but not well).

Second, the house AC we are talking about was
working adequately, just a problem with my
worry-wart wife. (She also questions the water
drip when the car is parked, and the gurgle from
the freezer, all of which are natural) The home
unit has worked slightly better (slightly colder
temps by my perception) for nearly 2 summers since
serviced.

Third, Before I retired I saw guys all the time
working on building AC units-big AC companies, 3-8
story buildings (one was a Federal Courthouse, one
was a brand new building that they kept fixing for
years) and the units were always having problems.
They dripped water inside, they didn't run, they
didn't provide enough cool, the fans would quit, etc.

Improperly serviced or not, it works and I didn't
have it serviced every year at a cost of
replacing every 10-15 years. Based on the Carrier
Manual of what maintenance should include,
maintenance is mostly just visual of electrical
connections and cleaning filters and coils.
Around here they want $50-80 for AC and if you
include a gas furnace they want $80 each spring
and fall.