RBM

I still believe the whole process is arbitrary and wrong. They'll tell you
to install gfci's but don't mention afci's. They'll tell you the non
grounded romex is not up to code, but neither is grounded NMB but that
wouldn't be written up. It just seems to me that the house inspection
industry should have universal standards and clear intentions and not allude
to these things as being violations but instead refer to them as upgrades

"FDR" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
FDR wrote:
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message

I'd like to know why the house inspector is arbitrarily picking the non
grounded outlets. If the house was built fifty years ago virtually none
of the wiring meets current code, so why not tell you to rewire it
entirely?

GFCI are supposed to be used within 6 ft of a wet source (sink, tub)

For new construction or renovation. The building codes in force at the
date of construction govern what is required unless a specfic law
requires current codes be applied.

This is a common problem when selling a house. A have a few friends who
were the executor for relatives estates. They would present the house for
sale and the buyers lender would send a "house inspector" who would
produce an extensive list of missing items if current codes were applied.

It really defies all logic. The buyer is getting a good deal on a house
that is probably 40% less than a new house and can perform whatever
modifications they want when they can afford them.

I'm sure that if it's priced right then it will sell. OTOH, if it isn't
you can make the modifications which measn the buyer has less leverage
against you and you can try for a higher price.

"Zing" wrote in message
legroups.com...

My neighbor is selling his house in NJ and was told by a house
inspector that he has to have a GFCI by the stove and by the sink in
his 50 year old Cape Cod house.

The house has NO ground wire on the Romex since it was built.

I was always led to believe that even if you have a GFCI with NO GROUND
WIRE that you have SOME PROTECTION.
In other words, ONLY 2 WIRES - BLACK AND WHITE are connected to the
GFCI.

Would this hookup - only 2 wires and NO ground - meet a NJ home
inspection requirement ??

What about a GFCI BREAKER for the entire circuit ???
Pass inspection ???

TIA