David Efflandt

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:49:47 GMT, Walter R. wrote:
My house is 22 years old and was wired with RG 59 coax in the walls.

I ran into a problem with my RG 59 cables because they had too much
signal-loss for my cable modem.

I will have to replace the RG 59 with RG 6 for the cable modem. Do I need
RG 6 for HDTV or will HDTV work with RG 59 coax? (Hate to run more wires
through walls than absolutely necessary.)

Make sure that the connectors are good and well attached to the cables.
Replace the connectors if not (I had to replace one and install some on
ends of scrounged cable). I used existing RG-59 cable (from former
owner's cable TV) to connect my OTA HDTV STB to indoor antenna (Silver
Sensor) on 2nd floor. Without an amp some channels from 36 miles are
weak, but with a 30db Radio Shack amp (maybe technically a pre-amp) they
usually all come in strong (except analog 2/digital 3 due to lack of VHF
antenna).