badgolferman

badgolferman, 7/17/2005, 9:47:32 PM, wrote:

My home A/C Carrier brand outside unit fan is squealing. It is
probably 15 years old but I don't know for sure since I've lived here
for seven years and the house was built in 1990. When I bang on the
cover it goes away for a while.

Is this something I can remove and grease the bearings or is it a
sealed unit and not worth fixing?

If I call a repairman what should I expect pricewise?

If this is repairable any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

I have since looked at the fan up close and would like to report my
observations.

Fan model and specifications:
5KCP39BG K497S
220 VAC, 0.9 Amp, 1/8 HP, 1100 RPM

Apparently when I removed the cover which the fan is also attached to I
broke the ground terminal lug from the chassis. Being an electronic
technician, fortunately I had the equipment to repair this. I had an
oiler with a needle attached that had 5W machine oil which I used to
drip a bunch of oil down the shaft. The shaft spun smoothly before and
after oiling so maybe there hasn't been too much damage. It's been
running straight for three hours since SE VA is very hot today and my
wife had shut off the A/C for fear of it breaking while I was gone to
work today. I haven't heard any squealing or screeching yet so I am
keeping my fingers crossed.

Tomorrow I will call local shops and locate a replacement just in case.
Thanks to everyone who responded.

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.