Robert E. Lewis

"FDR" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Excuse me, but "house inspector" said that? Of the ones I've seen, the
subtelty that escapes them would be "new work" in code requirements.
GFCI might be required in new work next to sink(s), but not required to
be retrofit. Even if it's a good idea.

Assuming your neighbor has a compatible breaker panel, one could put
circuit on GFCI breaker. If not, he could ask "inspector" for
specifics, for 50-yr-old house, and/or tell him to pound sand.

Never mind that most "house inspectors" are most charitably described
as hacks, whose main (only) purpose is to do nothing to offend the
referrer (generally a realtor) ...

When we got our present house inspected prior to closing, he said that the
outlets by the sink should be GFCI. Now it's not like the inspector has

any
power to do anyhting about it. He's just relaying how things should be.
It's up to the homeowner or buyer to do it or not.

I was at the home inspection of a house a friend is buying this morning, and
the subject came up. It's 25+ year-old construction, so GFCIs weren't
required when it was built. The inspector put little stickers with "GFCI"
printed on them on the outlets in the bathroom, kitchen and outside.

He explained that while it's not required for a home this old, they (home
inspectors, in Texas) are required to list the lack of a GFCI in those
locations as something requiring repair. It's up to my friend and the seller
to negotiate who pays for this repair/upgrade, if they want to.