MLD

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news:0ESCe.6821$ij3.124@trndny06...

"MLD" wrote in message
For those that are down on GE and don't want to deal with their
products----cut down on your flying or be more selective with respect to
the
aircraft you book on--GE engines are installed on approx 70% of the
world's
commercial aircraft. BTW, did I mention that I worked for GE?
MLD

GE is capable of making a good product, (although the engines are not as
good as the one Pratt makes here in CT) but they chose a different market
for consumer goods. Not everyone wants or can afford the top of the line.
GE chose to make a higher volume lower priced unit to target a different
audience than the higher priced brands. It falls on the consumer to

educate
themselves and make decisions based on what they learn.

Pratt was the major supplier of commercial and Military engines--there must
be a reason why they lost so much of both markets (I believe GE now has
approx 70% commercial, 90% Military). What about the foreign market too?
Could it be because they just couldn't keep up and compete? I recall they
had a lot of stall problems along with keeping compressor discs from
breaking up--do you remember sitting in a commercial aircraft (I do)--per
FAA requirements--having to run the engines up to full power and hold for a
bit, back to Idle and then to full power--before being allowed to take off.
A quick test to make sure the discs wouldn't fail on Take-Off. Used to
wonder how many passengers knew what was going on.
MLD