Ted Edwards

Sam Clayton wrote:
When they make Maple syrup they boil off the water in order to concentrate the
sugars in the sap. The question is: Could you save money by setting up a vacuum
to lower the boiling point? Would seem that with a lot less heat you could just
vacuum the steam away. Would it work and would it be worth doing?

They say that you can expect to get 5 cords (real cords, not face cords)
per acre from most forest/wood lots in perpetuity. This assumes only
taking the dead and/or down stuff and keeping things nice. My
experience has me believing that. So you might as well use it to boil
the sap.

When we were in Kingston, Ontario we gathered enough sap for own use. I
built a proper fire place out of doors for the boiling. Do _*NOT*_ do
it in the house - the water vapour will destroy your ceilings unless
they're finished in stainless steel (metalworking content).

Ted