alexy

"Trevor" wrote:

Hi all,

Maybe some here can help me. I am in the mists of making some book presses
and I am having trouble with threading the wooden spindles for the vice
jaws.

First of all, turn off the mister while in the midst of a woodworking
project, since those mists will cause wood swelling and rust your
tools! g

I have turned a tap on the metal lathe, but I am lost as how to secure the
cutter in the threadbox. I have cut the threads into the box but don't know
what angle to mount the v cutter or how to retain it.

Wouldn't you just set it at the angle determined by thread pitch?
E.g., if you want 4 TPI on your 1.25" spindle, you will want a pitch
of 1" rise for every 4*pi*1.25 = 15.7" run, or and angle of
arctan(1/15.7) = 3.6 degrees.

Caution: This is just a guess, and how I would approach it. It is NOT
based on experience, so proceed at your own risk!

BTW, I made wooden bench vise screws using a commercially available
tap and die set, and found the screws almost impossibly tight until I
ran them though the female part several times with a little pumice or
fine silicon carbide grit on the threads. You might want to tend
toward tightness in your set. Easy to loosen the end result as I did,
but not so easy to make the end result tighter.