Peter Wiley

In article , Ned
Simmons wrote:

In article 1121734007.783194.71940
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, says...
I'm looking for a small vertical metal bandsaw. The 4x6" cheapies won't
work for thick sheets (say 1/4" aluminum 12" x 12") and I already have
a saw to cut bar stock. The cheapest thing I can find is this:

http://www.palmgren.com/palmgren/p-s...gbandsaws.html

It's $1200 on Amazon (shipping included).

For $1200 you should be able to find a good used 16" DoAll
or Grob that'll cut anything you can lift onto the table.

Yeah, but they're heavy. I bought a licensed copy of a Grob 18"
wood/metalcutting bandsaw with blade welder for $600 AUD. Fast enough
for wood, low speed range suitable for stainless and inconel etc.
Guesstimated its weight at 300kg. Hah. Closer to 500, I reckon.

Now it's in the shop and on a castor base, I don't care about the
weight but getting it into the shop by myself, off of soft sloping
ground, was - err - interesting.

Agree about the utility versus one of the import saws 100%. It's a
great machine and once I master the blade welder I can pretty much be
independent of the local shops.

PDW