Mungo Bulge

Mounting a face plate on a spindle in the chuck is, for the beginner,
a questionable procedure. The whole idea of turning between centres is
accuracy. Lathe chucks tend to have less than optimal accuracy when
requiring tight tolerances. Also, by moving the "centre" or point as
you referred to it, farther from the bearings in the head, you tend to
decrease rigidity in your setup. By using a spindle mounted faceplate
and a soft point MT5 (if that is what your spindle is) centre to do
you "between centres turning" you will have a setup on which you will
be able to produce the most accurate work your lathe is capable of
producing.
Buy the largest faceplate your lathe can swing, and a small dog drive
with a couple of drive dogs.

Are you sure your spindle bore has a MT5 taper?