lionslair at consolidated dot net

jim rozen wrote:

In article . com,
says...

I have been the business owner, or at least co-owner. And we let
employees use company resources. From our perspective helping the
employees was part of the compensation package. It was not as great a
package as we would have liked to have given them, but letting them use
a truck to move was something we could do at minimal cost to us.

IBM for example has a property pass system - if I want to borrow
any kind of tool or a computer, then if my manager signs off on
the pass, it is offically OK. As far as I'm concerned, nothing
goes out the door without that piece of paper stuck on it.

The funny part was for a while I was bringing *huge* amounts of
gear down to brookhaven national labs while we were setting up
an experiment. Computers, electronics, meters, tools, all kinds
of hardware. But I always had a signed pass for it all.

I was never questioned about it except for one single time. I was
driving by. He stopped and asked "do you have a property pass
for all this stuff?"

I answered "yep, have it right here" and went to drag out my notebook
with the pass staped inside. But he said, "OK, just checking, don't
bother about it."

Jim

I've worked for several large companies and they had the same sign this
pass item. A page to security and a page to personnel (HR now)...

When there was a massive reduction in force (a.k.a. layoff) all pages forgiven -
please do not return. So some with 'good' stuff were lucky, those with ok stuff
were ok. No one made like a bandit. If we only knew :-)

I have done the same thing in return - brought in instruments and tools that
the company didn't have or didn't want to rent overnight - for just a few questions.
e.g. nano-amp curve tracer... for leakage testing.
I also have a 1000 A current clamp - a.c. or d.c. - to BNC - which is nice to
watch pictures or with software - extract it from some scopes.

OBTW - I have the HP software IIRC for screen capture -
I can't use due to no HP instruments....

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life